Grandparent & Third Party Custody

Sometimes a child’s biological or legal parent is unable or unwilling to care for the child; often, that person is the child’s grandparent. In those cases, the person who is providing that parental role may be granted third party custody rights. In Oregon, a person who wants third party custody or parenting time must show that they have been the child’s primary caretaker and the legal parent is unwilling or unable to adequately care for the child. If you are fulfilling the parent role for a child who is not legally your child, you may have the right to third party custody or parenting time rights.